Thanksgiving in Chicago 2013
Thanksgiving Day Things To Do Update:
Skating at Millennium Park starts today November 15th at noon and runs thorugh March 9th 2014. Skating is free with skate rental for $10! Thanksgiving Day hours run 10am to 4pm. Check it out here.
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and the thought of cooking a giant flightless bird for a throng of out-of -own guests may not warm the cockles of your heart the way it does so many Americans. There are also those of us eager to spend the weekend Downtown having a mini-vacation and don’t even like turkey all that much anyway. For this group of non-traditional Thanksgiving Day celebrants, I give you a sampling of activities and dining establishments that will be available in Chicago on Thanksgiving Day.
Be sure to check Hotwire.com and Hotels.com. There are deals to be had. I enjoy plaing roulette with the hotel stays, so I took a chance and was rewarded with The Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers for $96 per night! It's going for over $200 per night on Hotwire if you specifically select the brand. It's not a big risk since the site provides you with the neighborhood, possible properties, and star ratings. The benefit far outweights any risk. The only catch is that your purchase is binding even before you are shown the hotel.
- Chicago Thanksgiving Day Parade: 8am to 11am on State Street
- The Field Museum: Open every day except Christmas 9am-5pm
- Lincoln Park Zoo: November–March hours 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m. (gates open 7a.m.–5 p.m.) The Zoo Lights are aglow the day after Thanksgiving
- Shedd Aquarium: Open every day of the year except Christmas: 9 am to 5pm. Mondays through Fridays and 9 am to 6pm Saturdays, Sundays holidays
- Museum of Science and Industry: Closed Thanksgiving Day, but open daily remainder of weekend from 9:30am to 4pm
- Chicago Cultural Center: Closed Thanksgiving Day, open remainder of holiday weekend daily 10am-6pm
- Odyssey Lake Cruise with Thanksgiving lunch or dinner buffet
- Chicago River Architecture Tour: according to Wendela’s site, you can purchase tickets for a Thanksgiving Day cruise (weather dependent)
CHRISTKINDLMARKET, TREE LIGHTING, and MACY’S
- Christkindlmarket: Enjoy traditional European fare and gifts at this German-inspired open market celebrating Christmas Nov 26-Dec 24
- Tree Lighting Daley Plaza: November 26th
- Macy’s is just across from Daley Plaza so be sure to check out The Walnut Room at Macy’s and have a snack or meal under the giant Christmas tree
- Macy’s will open at 8pm Thanksgiving Day for black Friday in Chicago
FROM SUCH GREAT HEIGHTS
DINING AROUND DOWNTOWN CHICAGO
Offering Thanksgiving Specials
- Signature Room at John Hancock:Turkey with a view Thursday, November 28th, 11:00 am - 7:00 pm, last seating at 6:30 pm Adults $70, Children (4-12 years old) $35, Children 3 and under, no charge. Reservations are required.
- The Drake Hotel: Adults: $115, Children $50
- Cafe des Architectes at Hotel Sofitel Thanksgiving Special: An elegant three-course prix fixe menu with choices for each course. $65 per adult and $19 for children under twelve (tax and gratuity excluded). Thanksgiving dinner is served from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. For reservations and additional information, please call (312) 324-4063. To view the menu, please click here .
- The Palmer House Lobby at least stop and have a drink here. Gorgeous 1920 architecture
- Lockwood in the Palmer House Hilton: Buffet $70 adults, $65 seniors, $40 6-12, 5 and under FREE
- NoMi:125/per adult
- Fulton’s on the River: Thanksgiving Feast
- Chicago Q: Thanksgiving lunch and dinner offerings. $34 per person, Family (serves 6-9) $240, and Family & Friends (serves 10-14) $380
- Bin 36 (near House of Blues – American fare and wine bar) Thanksgiving Meal $48-adults, $20 kids 4-12, under 4 FREE
Offering Regular Menu
- The Gage (across from Millennium Park - gastropub)
- Park Grill (at the Skating Rink at Millennium Park – upscale American fare)
- Eleven City Diner (near Parade Route - Jewish Deli)
- Yolk (near parade route- egg dishes)
- Cheesecake Factory (American fare)
- Gyu-Kaku (traditional Japanese table barbeque)
- Niu (next to AMC River East – Japanese fusion – amazing sushi)
- Sixteen in the Trump
- Mercat a la Plaxa
- Nellcote offers social media specials
You can find more restaurants open on Thanksgiving on our special event section.
Enjoy your Thanksgiving in Chicago!