Five chefs from around the city are gathering together to create and share street food inspired by Chicago neighborhoods like Humboldt Park, Ukrainian Village, and Argyle.
Hosted by Chef Cory Morris of Mercat a la Planxa, the “Summer Social” takes place tonight, Thursday Aug. 21 and the proceeds will support The Cara Program’s mission to help motivated individuals secure and sustain quality employment.
Chef Morris first became involved with The Cara Program in 2010 by hosting private dinners at peoples’ homes to raise money. Four years later, his work has evolved into the annual “Summer Social” chef event.
This year each chef is creating a take on Chicago street food inspired by their favorite Chi-town neighborhood and the menu includes Smoked Cucumber Gazpacho, spicy Gong Bao Chicken, Sticky Pork Belly Banh Mi, and Sopes de la Villita.
Participating chefs include:
- Cory Morris, Mercat a la Planxa: China Town - Gong Bao Chicken
- Daniel Espinoza, Dinner Lab: Humboldt Park - Gazpacho
- Joe Heppe, Untitled: Argyle - Banh Mi
- John McLean, Burger Bar: Ukrainian Village - Dish TBA
- Rivers Casino: Little Village - Sopes de la Villita
When: Thursday, August 21 from 6-9 p.m.
Where: The Blackstone Hotel, 636 S. Michigan Ave
Cost: $65 pre-sale (online), $80 at the door (based on availability)