If your tree is starting to look like it should star in a Charlie Brown special, it's probably time to take it down. Don't just throw it in the alley, though. Recycle it! The City of Chicago has 25 recycling locations where you can drop off your not-so-evergreen from January 6, 2018, through January 20, 2018.
If you bring it in to one of the locations below with an asterisk * you can also pick up some mulch beginning January 8.
When you leave your tree make sure it's free of any decorations. That means all ornaments, tinsel, lights, and stands must be removed.
If you can't get to one of these locations, Healthy Soil Compost will pick up your tree for $35 for members and $45 for non-members. 10% of that price will be donated to Zero Waste Chicago.
Lakeview residents can get their trees picked up for free. The 44th ward offers free pickup between January 5 and 7; you just have to register in advance.
Photo courtesy 44thward.org
Chicago Christmas Tree Recycling
- Bessemer Park: 8930 S. Muskegon Ave.
- Clark Park: 3400 N. Rockwell Ave.
- Forestry Site: 900 E. 103rd St.*
- Garfield Park: 100 N. Central Park Ave.
- Grant Park: 900 S. Columbus Dr.
- Humboldt Park Boathouse: 1369 N. Sacramento Blvd.
- Jackson Park: 6300 S. Cornell Ave.
- Kennedy Park: 2427 W. 113th St.
- Kelvyn Park: 4438 W. Wrightwood Ave.
- Lake Meadows Park: 3117 S. Rhodes Ave.
- Lincoln Park: Cannon Dr. at Fullerton Ave., parking lot east of Cannon Dr.*
- Margate Park: 4921 N. Marine Dr.*
- Marquette Park: 6700 S. Kedzie Ave.
- McKinley Park: 2210 W. Pershing Rd.
- Mt. Greenwood Park: 3721 W. 111th St.*
- North Park Village: 5801 N. Pulaski Rd.*
- Norwood Park: 5801 N. Natoma Ave.
- Portage Park: 4100 N. Long Ave.
- Riis Park: 6201 W. Wrightwood Ave.
- Rowan Park: 11546 S. Avenue L
- Sheridan Park: 910 S. Aberdeen St.
- Walsh Park: 1722 N Ashland Ave
- Warren Park: 6601 N. Western Ave.*
- Wentworth Park: 5701 S. Narragansett Ave.
- West Chatham Park: 8223 S Princeton
Photo of Chicago's 1st tree recycling courtesy of Openlands.org