There are 26 miles of public beaches in Chicago, and beginning at 11am on Friday, May 23, it's time to come out and play.
From Rogers Park to the Eastside Community we've got 23 beaches to choose from. Many of them have concessions, like The Dock at Montrose Beach or Castaways at North Avenue Beach. At some you can even surf, windsurg, and kiteboard. For the athletic beach-goers you can distance swim at 12th Street Beach, 57th Street Beach, and Ohio Street Beach, to name a few.
In addition to connecting with friends in the sand you can also connect online. North Avenue, Osterman/Hollywood, Montrose, Foster and Rainbow beaches are all equipped with free wifi.
No matter which beach you choose to visit, make sure you follow these rules from the Chicago Park District:
- Swim only when lifeguards are on duty.
- Follow lifeguards’ instructions.
- Only Coast Guard approved flotation devices are permitted.
- No smoking.
- No alcohol.
- No dogs on the beach unless otherwise posted.
- Do not feed birds or wildlife.
- Dispose of trash and recycling in appropriate containers.
- Grill in designated areas only and dispose of coals in red barrels.
- Keep accessible beach walks clear. No bicycling, skateboarding or rollerblading is permitted in these areas.
To find the beach closest to you, visit our interactive Beach map and search by neighborhood.
Photo credit: krosenfield