Your cart is currently empty!
One for us: Cook County Sales Tax Rolled Back
This just in: the Cook County Board rolled back the sales tax to 9.75%. It was at 10.25% – the highest in the nation.
TLT follows Cook County Commissioner Tony Peraica on Twiter, and he posted updates throughout the process. It’s almost like were were there!
- Com Claypool is not present at meeting today. I hope that his vote on sales tax repeal will not be a pivotal vote
- County’s revenues
mid-way thru FY09 are $31M BELOW projections. Cost savings are about
$100M at mid-year. Therefore, sales tax s/b repealed.
- Larry Suffredin is now arguing with county comptroller over his FY10 fiscal projections. This is going to be fun. Stay tuned.
- Jerry Butler
accused Greg Goslin of not knowing what he talking about. Butler is
defending Bureau of Health. Butler opposes reductions.
- Stroger is now arguing AGAINST the sales tax reduction. He just does not get it.
- Com Sims is now
putting on the floor a “compromise half-point reduction” and is
speaking on behalf of it…she sounds like she may flip.
- We need Com. Sims vote to keep 14 votes together in order to overide promised Stroger veto. Stay tuned.
- Com Murphy is now FOR a half-point reduction is sales tax. Com Murphy flipped out way. This is looking promising.
- Com Murphy and Sims are facing stiff opposition in their districts. Election is around the corner.
- Com Gorman is in favor of sales tax reduction. No surprise.
- Com Suffredin is now arguing in favor of a tax reduction. Larry found religion with the election on the horizon.
- Com Suffredin was the 9th vote to pass this $400M sales tax increase in Feb 08.
- Com Collins said
she will not vote “present” today. She sound like she will vote for a
roll-back. Com Collins seems to have found religion.
- Com Butler opposes any reductions. No surprise.
- Following my
summation in favor of tax reduction, Stroger is now attacking me rather
than trying to advocate for a reduction. Sad.
- Daley and Moreno spoke in support of reduction.
- Roll call is now in progress.
- Moreno votes AGAINST sales tax reduction.
- Schneider and Silvestri vote for a reduction.
- Collins, Gainer, Gorman, Goslin, Maldonado all voted for a reduction.
- This is big. Sims voted to REDUCE the sales tax. Stroger lost one of his most ardent supporters.
- Steele voted YES to repeal the tax. Stroger is done.
- Suffredin and Daley voted for REPEAL.
- Sales tax repealed on a vote of 13-yes, 3-no, ando 1-absent (Claypool).