It’s been a cool season in Chicago, but restaurants Red Fish Bleu Fish and Porkchop and The Hyde Speakeasy (5121 S. Harper, Chicago; 773-952-4744) are not wasting any time bringing the summertime atmosphere to Hyde Park. Throughout the month of July, Red Fish Bleu Fish and Porkchop are celebrating some delicious cocktail and food holidays and offering some terrific catering options to make your July 4 barbecue a crowd-pleasing success. The Hyde, a unique speakeasy, is offering some exciting entertainment to go with the great vibe and amazing cocktails. Wipe away those chilly temperatures with a comforting meal of seafood and barbecue—and some great cocktails—all month long!
July 4 – National Barbecue Day—Porkchop’s Catering lets you bring the barbecue home
This Fourth of July is also National Barbecue Day! If you don’t want to do the cooking yourself but are still craving a home-cooked barbecue meal, Porkchop is the place to enjoy expertly prepared, mouth-watering barbecue. If you want to host your barbecue at home without all of the work, Porkchop offers an extensive barbecue catering menu, with many, many options to let you customize your feast—choose packages (complete meals on a per person basis—all persons must order the same package), or choose Porkchop’s many tray options, each prepared for 8-10 people (half trays) or 18-20 people (full trays).
All packages include cornbread, coleslaw, and choice of fresh cut fries or mashed potatoes. There is a 15-person minimum for each package. The “Pig-Sized Savings ($9.99 per person) package features juicy smoked half chicken and cob corn; the Always Delicious package ($12.99 per person) features the smoked half chicken and house salad; the Basic BBQ package ($15.99 per person) includes smoked chicken wings, baby back ribs, cob corn and green beans; the Southern Favorite ($18.99 per person) includes smoked brisket with buns and pickles, pulled pork, house salad and cob corn; the Epicurean’s Delight ($21.99) is a food lover’s treat with BBQ ribs, smoked chicken wings, grilled salmon, grilled shrimp, house salad and green beans. If you’re watching your carbs, the special Proteins Only package ($19.99 per person) leaves out the starches but includes smoked half chicken, smoked sausage, beef brisket grilled salmon and house salad.
If you want to customize your package, contact Porkchop to create your own package. There is a 15-person minimum and you must choose the same package for everyone. Choose from the many appetizer choices: fried pickles, smoked chicken wings, elotes (Mexican-style street corn), popcorn shrimp, fried okra, chicken stripes, tacos and grilled shrimp. Then select entrees—there are many choices including grilled or fried chicken sandwiches, turkey burgers, baby back ribs, beef ribs, pulled chicken, seafood etouffee, bacon wrapped shrimp, pork chop sandwiches, cheese burgers, veggie burgers, brisket, burnt ends, pulled port, porterhouse pork chops, crispy catfish fillet and grilled salmon over spinach. Enhance your package with side dishes: fresh cut fries, mashed potatoes, collard greens, cornbread and coleslaw—and soups or salads, including gumbo, baked beans, cob corn, Caesar salad, red beans and rice, brisket chili, spinach salad, green beans and sweet potato fries. There are several yummy desserts to choose from as well.
Finally, you can order trays that serve 8-10 people (half-trays) and 18-20 people (full trays). What an easy way to create a delicious spread for your guests! You can order appetizer trays, such as fried okra or pickles, smoked wings, tacos, buttermilk chicken strips, onion rings, bacon wrapped shrimp, popcorn shrimp and loaded nachos. Entrée trays included smoked chicken quarters, pulled pork or pulled chicken sandwiches, baby back ribs, brisket with buns and pickles, chicken tenders, sticky tenders, burnt ends, grilled salmon fillets and grilled shrimp. Top it off with sides and salad trays, and your gathering will be easy and so delicious!
These fabulous catering options are available July 4 and every day—but remember, you must order at least 24 hours in advance. So, keep these amazing options in mind for your summertime gatherings, whenever you choose to host one. With so much goodness to choose from, every feast will be a winner.
Special cocktail celebrations at Red Fish Bleu Fish and Porkchop
- Even after July 4, you’ll still be in the mood for a summer celebration, so stop by throughout the month of July and enjoy these special cocktail promotions:
- Wednesday, July 10, celebrate National Piña Colada Day at Red Fish Bleu Fish. Cure your island fever with a refreshing Pina Colada to accompany your Whole Fried Caribbean Red Snapper, Jamaican Escovitch fish prepared with Scotch bonnet pepper
- Red Fish Bleu Fish celebrates National Mojito Day on Thursday, July 11. A taste of Cuba is yours with this classic Cuban cocktail. Enjoy it with the popular Paella Ala Red Fish Bleu Fish, served with mussels, clams, shrimps, pulpo and calamari.
- Porkchop celebrates National Tequila Day on Wednesday, July 24 with its ever-popular Margarita Flight. This tangy refreshment perfectly complements Porkchop’s spicy dishes such as the BBQ Nachos, Blackened Shrimp and Grits, Cajun Fettuccine and the Hippie Burger—not to mention the spicy hand-cut fries. If you’re in the mood for a Tequila shot, Porkchop has an excellent tequila selection at its full service bar.
July Food Celebrations at Red Fish Bleu Fish and Porkchop
- Porkchop pays homage to two of its favorites during July, which is National Baked Bean Month and National Pickle Month. Drop in and enjoy Porkchop’s great takes on these traditional favorites.
- Saturday, July 13 is National French Fry Day, so enjoy an order of our fresh, hand cut fries—spicy or regular—or the to-die-for sweet potato fries. Available at both Red Fish Bleu Fish and Porkchop.
- Monday, July 29 is National Chicken Wing Day, so you shouldn’t pass up a chance to try Porkchop’s juicy barbecue Smoked Wings, slow smoked and flash fried, served with Porkchop hot sauce.
Happy Hour, Fish Fry Fridays and Industry Nights
- Remember that every month Red Fish Bleu Fish and Porkchop feature some great promotions.
- Red Fish Bleu Fish’s Happy Hour is the place to be on weekdays from 4-6 p.m. and enjoy a half dozen oysters and rum punch for only $10.
- Porkchop’s Happy Hour, 4-6 p.m. on weekdays, is a taco lover’s haven. Enjoy $2 tacos and $7 margaritas.
- Every Friday is Fish Fry Friday at Red Fish Bleu Fish, featuring our signature Fish and Chips for just $13.
- Porkchop celebrates Industry Night every Tuesday—show us proof that you work in the restaurant or hospitality industry and enjoy $2 tacos and $7 margaritas.
July Happenings at The Hyde Speakeasy
The Hyde is one of Hyde Park’s most unique late-night gathering spots. Sit back, relax and enjoy good friends and great spirits—including The Hyde’s cognac bar—in this cozy hideaway that evokes the sensual, discreet vibe of the Prohibition era. Monday nights throughout July, beginning at 9 p.m., it’s Open Mic night, featuring live performance by singer extraordinaire Angela Martin who has performed on American Idol, The Ellen Show and Windy City Live.
If you’re going to celebrate July 4 at the Hyde Park July 4 Parade and Picnic, remember that a great way to chill after your day of food and fireworks is to stop by The Hyde for a sexy cocktail, hip music and good conversation. The Hyde is open until 2 a.m. on July 4, until 3 a.m. on July 5 and 6.
Saturday, July 13 and 27 are special evenings at The Hyde: from 8 to 10 p.m. it’s the “This Is For You Comedy Show,” hosted by comedian Eli Hamilton with special guests. It’s time to laugh at real life as only Eli and his cohorts can tell it.
About Red Fish Bleu Fish, Porkchop and The Hyde
The newly combined Red Fish Bleu Fish and Porkchop, located at 5121 S. Harper in Chicago’s Hyde Park, offers something for everyone with a great selection of fish and seafood, barbecue and southern specialties. Lunch, dinner and weekend brunch are served in this casual and lively restaurant with a friendly staff, delicious comfort food and full bar. The kitchen is open late and there are happy hour specials weekdays from 4 to 6 p.m.
Lunch is served from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on weekdays. Dinner is served from 5 p.m. to midnight on weekdays and 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. Brunch is served from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
The Hyde is a unique Chicago speakeasy, an innovative concoction of art, live music, food and drinks. Evoking the sensual, friendly vibe of a 1920’s gathering spot, The Hyde is a late night spot with an exceptional cocktail program, a special cognac bar, and a discreet, sophisticated atmosphere. The speakeasy is open until 2 a.m. on weekdays and 3 a.m. on weekends. During weekdays, access The Hyde through the hidden door inside of the Red Fish Bleu Fish restaurant. On weekends, enter through the main door at 5115 S. Harper in Chicago. The Hyde is available for all types of private events, banquets, weddings, business gatherings and more.
Validated parking for all three venues is available in the lower level of the Whole Foods parking garage (enter on S. Lake Park Avenue). All major credit cards are accepted. For more information, please contact the restaurant at 773-952-4744.