AlphaBeer is the only event that teaches craft beer lovers about 26 beers – one for every letter of the alphabet. It’s a three-hour tour of hops and barley and lagers and ales, and everything is crafted by masters who are passionate about their beers.
The 10th AlphaBeer takes place on April 20 from 12p.m. to 3p.m. at John Barleycorn River North (149 W. Kinzie St.) in downtown Chicago. At this very special event breweries from the Great Lakes area, including Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Indiana, and of course, Chicagoland, are being highlighted.
Several special guests will be joining the event to talk about their beers, including representatives from 5 Rabbit, Brewery Vivant, Founders, Goose Island Brewing Company, and New Holland. Chef Cleetus Friedman of Fountainhead is also scheduled to talk about Loudmouth Soup, the beer he produced in collaboration with Greenbush. Other guests on the roster are Chicago Beer Geeks and the Chicago chapter of Barley’s Angels, a beer club for women.
Attendees won’t just be tasting the beers. Chef Jill Houk is returning as the emcee, or AlphaBeerMaster, for the fourth time. She’ll educate guests on the ABV, the IBU and what to eat with each brew. Notes on each beer are broadcast on multiple screens so everyone can learn their A-BEER-C’s.
“On tap” for the event are the following beers (subject to change based on availability):
- A All Day IPA, Founders
- B Breakfast Stout, Founders
- C Curmudgeon, Founders
- D Dynamo, Metropolitan
- E Eugene Porter, Revolution
- F Farmhand Ale, Brewery Vivant
- G Goose Island, Pepe Nero
- H Huitzi, 5 Rabbit
- I Iron Works Alt, Metropolitan
- J Jinx Proof, Three Floyds
- K Kalamazoo Stout, Bell’s
- L Loudmouth Soup, Greenbush & Cleetus Friedman
- M Monkey King, New Holland
- N New Grist, Lakefront
- O Over Ale, Half Acre
- P Paleooza, New Holland
- Q Coming Soon
- R Revolution, A Little Crazy
- S Sky High Rye, Arcadia
- T Tiny Dancer, Goose Island
- U Unfiltered Wheat Beer, Boulevard
- V Hammer, Bullet, Vice; Half Acre
- W White Chapel Wit, Haymarket
- X “X” Fidy, Oskar Blues
- Y GFY Stout, Spiteful Brewing
- Z Zaison, Brewery Vivant
Tickets are $45 to try 26 different craft beers. A limited number of tables of 6 are available for only $225. Tickets can be purchased at http://thelocaltourist.com/event/alphabeer-x or via PayPal: